Today we had another wonderful service at the African Gospel Church. Praise and worship time was especially awesome. We sang some songs in English and some songs in Swahili. While some people may find that languages such as Itialiano or French are pleasing to the ear, I find myself drawn to the beauty of swahili. Today I learned "Yesu anaweza" which translates, "God is able".
Today, the pastor talked about finding our spiritual giftedness. I believe that everyone has something to offer to the Lord to help further his kingdom and bring those who are lost to salvation in Jesus Christ. The key is in finding out what area you can best serve the Lord. Sounds easy...but is it? I find that often we are better at finding the areas that God has blessed others. "If I could only sing like her I could use my talent to witness to others." "If I were as comfortable speaking infront of crowds like him I could lead others to Christ." Do you see what I mean? Have you ever said some of these same things? Its also easy to assume that if God really wanted you to do something, it wouldn't be so difficult. I'm sure Moses felt the same way. In Exodus 3, the Lord tells Moses to go to Pharoh and ask for the release of the Israelites. Moses asked, "who am I that I should go to Pharoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" The Lord responded with, "I will be with you." In chapter 4, Moses raises his concern about being "slow of speech and tongue". The Lord replies, "Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." What comfort! God doesn't ask us to go blindly, but to step out in faith with the knowledge that he will be right there with us.
I am still searching for my spiritual giftedness, but I pray that as I seek God, he will make it known to me. Today the pastor said something that I thought was important. He said, "Great things are done through people who say 'yes' to God and make the neccessary adjustments." Saying "yes" to God requires a change, and change is not always easy, nor is it comfortable. But remember, Yesu anaweza....God is able.
I challenge all of you reading, as well as myself, to ask God to reveal your spiritual gifts so that you can play a part in furthering his kingdom. We love and miss you all, God Bless!!
-Emily
When I read your post it reminded me that the place my friend's sister works is the Africa Gospel Church Baby Center. Not sure if you're familiar with it... but it would be neat if you were so close! What a blessing that God has placed you and Mark in Africa to do such amazing work :)
ReplyDelete