Today Emily and I had the opportunity to go to a local orphanage (1.5 hrs away). It was an amazing experience. To begin we had 12 people in a Toyota Land Cruiser, that is fun on Kenyan roads, most of which were not paved. We traveled through amazing country, most of which was tea fields. Kenyans love tea, especially Chi. Anyway we traveled out and arrived at the orphanage and we were greeted by 30 children. The one thing I have noticed in the short time we have been here is how friendly the people are, especially the children. At the orphanage they have 30-40 children varying in age from elementary to high school. Their home is located in a beautiful area with a view that is just amazing. They look out on farm country and also the border of an enormous forrest (don't remember the name).
The reason for our visit was to perform feet washing, give out shoes, socks, and t-shirts. Dr. Bemm was the physician that invited us, and he led the children through the story of the last supper when Jesus washed his disciples feet (John 13: 1-17). It was awesome to hear the the children answering Dr. Bemm's questions. The knowledge that these children have biblically is unreal, it makes you want to sharpen your own knowledge!
It's just so cool to see the kids. The big thing that I wanted out of this trip was to have a new perspective, and in my eyes these kids are the perfect example how to live life. Emily and I were talking on the way home about the locals and how they don't think they're poor. I told her that they aren't, that's subjective, and these people are very rich in spirit. They may have less money than we have been blessed with but we look at them through westernized eyes. These are rich people, maybe not financially according to us, but spiritually they are loaded...lol!!
Talking specifically about about the kids we met today, our prayer is that God just blesses them. We pray that they grow in Him, and just have wonderful lives. Life has started hard for these kids, I'm not sure why they are orphans, but if their spirit that we saw today holds true, these kids will be amazing!!!
Good night from Kenya!!
No comments:
Post a Comment