Day one down and Emily and I survived!!! I must say that it was amazing, and very nerve racking!! At the time of us walking to morning medical meetings Emily and Kelly still did not know the rotation that they would be starting with, so that just added to the anxiety. Eventually they did find out that both with be on OB/GYN for the first 4 weeks of our time at Tenwek. I on the other hand knew what I was going to be doing, just not to what capacity. It was comforting to see that they actually have a small rehab department. I was kept on a short leash today, I told Emily that they may think I'm a student, not for sure....lol. PT here is very different. They write orders(x-rays, CT, etc.), do a lot of casting (which we do in the U.S.), but I still haven't figured out the flow of the PT department just yet, but its only day one. Emily had some interesting stories from her experiences today, actually a little to much to describe here...lol. One of the brightest parts of the day that I think I'm really going to like is the 10:30 tea time. Everyday at 10:30 everyone stops to have Chi tea. Chi tea consist of tea (not sure the type), milk, water, sugar (lots of sugar). A very delightful little treat!
I've only been here really a day and a half but it's easy to see that this is a special place. The people and the culture are so inviting and caring that it is impressive to watch as an outsider. The morning meetings are begun with someone praying and then they take prayer requests and pray again to end the meetings! Try to do that in America and see how fast you are in a lawsuit....ridiculous America! Anyway, the thing that has stuck out to me the most is the kids. They are just amazing, even the kids that are patients seem to all be smiling and positive. Kids are everywhere around the hospital playing and when you walk by they reach out to shake your hand. I had one little girl this evening who had fractured her arm today. It was a green stick fracture. She was probably 3-4 years old. I noticed her looking at me out of a doorway in the PT department. I walked toward her and she came right to me to shake my hand. Maybe I looked funny to her because she ran back to her mom just laughing!! I'm not sure if she spoke english but I kept telling her that "You are to pretty to be hurt.", and again she would just laugh and laugh. Pretty cool to see such a small person be so welcoming and so brave at the same time when she has a fractured arm. With this being day one I'm sure the blessing are just going to continue to come. Good night from Africa!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment