Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Psalm 139:13-14

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  Psalm 139:13-14

Today was my first real day on the OB/GYN floor.  You will probably be as amazed as I was to hear that there were 46 women on the OB/GYN floor!  You may also be surprised to know that many of them share a bed with another patient.  According to Mark, this isn't unsuaul on the other floors either.  Something I noticed that tugged at my heart strings is that many of the expectant mothers and post delivery mothers are in the same room as mothers who have experienced IUFD (intrauterine fetal demise) also known as a stillbirth.  This is when the fetus dies before birth, usually after 20-24 weeks gestation.  The mothers who have delivered keep their babies with them in their bed unless the newborn is ill or requires extra attention.  Those babies who require extra attention are sent to the nursery, which can serve as a PICU.  There were over 30 babies in the nursery!! Needless to say this place has babies galore!! 

Part of the Nursery

Kelly and I also got to see our first delivery while at Tenwek.  Interesting fact: here at Tenwek, the nurses deliver the infants unless there is a problem or a c-section is neccessary.  The delivery room consists of 3 beds devided by curtains. 

Kelly and I also had the priviledge of getting to spend some time with the children who live around the hospital.  Thanks to the donations by Keith and Holly Hoover, I was able to take the children paper, pens, and crayons, and boy did they LOVE IT!  More and more children kept coming.  We all sat down and practiced writing numbers, drawing pictures, and writing (in English!).  The kids were so fun and so grateful!

To end the day, we had bible study.  The women met at one house and the men at another.  It was the perfect way to end what had been a great day.  Thank you for your continued prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment