Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Africa Moment...

As you can imagine, removing yourself from what is comfortable (i.e. America) can be very difficult.  Some people adjust rather quickly to immersion into a new country and culture, and others have a more difficult time.  While I have enjoyed my time in Africa thus far, I have struggled with  various aspects of the culture.  The most obvious obstacle being the language barrier.  Off the top of my head, I can think of four different languages that you encounter in Bomet alone.  I have struggled feeling that I can connect with my patients.  If I try and talk to them, will they just be confused and rather I not?  Mark has reminded me on multiple occasions that everyone understands a smile.  So this is what I have tried to do...smile...a lot.  Another obstacle is PDA, or public displays of affection.  In America, it is totally acceptable for a husband and wife to hold hands, or place your hand on hour spouses knee when seated, etc.  Here, we have to keep reminding ourselves that it is not the way of the Kenyan people, and being outsiders, we want to respect their customs.  Another obstacle is clothing.  The women here are expected to wear knee length skirts or longer unless you are in the Operating Room, or "theater" as they call it.  Today we will be going on a hike.  And what will the ladies be wearing?  You guessed it....skirts.  Needless to say, fitting in and feeling comfortable has been a challenge.
But today I had what I like to call "my Africa moment".  We attended church at Bethesda Africa Gospel Church.  We started our praise and worship time and one of the songs that was sung was "Shout to the Lord" (mind you it had an African flare with a little boy pounding on the drum).   As I was standing there singing praises to my God, I realized that we are all singing and worshiping the same God.  What a realization that gave me the connection to the people of Kenya I have been searching for!  I found it difficult to sing as I was holding back my tears.  My God is so great, and in that moment, he provided for me what I have most desired...a feeling of belonging.  Today I have experienced just how big our God is, not only is he Emily's God that is worshiped in Morehead, Kentucky, but 7,700 miles away in Bomet, Kenya, he is the same God.  And I praise him for that!

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog!! It's great to hear that things are going so well & that you are doing all of this in His name! :)
    ~Allison Miller

    ReplyDelete